Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Lennie's strength

Big Baby, dumb, kicked in the head by a horse. These are the words that stick out to me when people talk about Lennie. For me, personally, it is and was Big Baby, dumb, and ran into walls for fun. I’m not Lennie, I am Daniel but to think about what Lennie has gone through his whole life is not that difficult for me. I was always the biggest kid in my class I always stuck out even when I was just tall and not necessarily heavy. I became self-aware at a young age of how strong I was. I think I was fifteen the first time I broke something like a door handle or a bike pump just trying to use it like a regular person would. I was able to learn that not all of my strength was needed that I needed to be softer with everyone. I’m still not perfect. Sorry Tony Mannen’s rib 2014(Putnam Spelling Bee)

 For me Lennie lacks the capability to be self-aware of his strength and for that I am truly sorry for him. Lennie is bigger and stronger than everyone around him and he doesn't really understand that. For me a line that sticks out like a sore thumb is Slim’s line the night after Lennie goes out bucking barley. It’s something around the lines of… he nearly killed his partner bucking barley. Lennie is completely unaware of how everyone else around him isn't his size or strength it never even occurs to him that these people don’t think he is normal. What is normal though?

-Daniel Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment