Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The "End of Show" funk

Most theatre people go through what I like to call "The end of the show funk". It hit me pretty hard this time. Going from spending 4 days a week with people you have gotten to know and love to barely seeing them would be hard for anyone. For me it wasn't only that but these talented and amazing people have helped me grow in not only theatre but in my everyday thoughts and actions.
 
When I was first cast in the show and saw the cast list I was a bit intimidated. I was the youngest and least experienced person in the cast, how was I supposed to go on stage with these talented people and not look like a total rookie? This role was my first role with lines of this magnitude and not only that but with a story of this degree. I was just plain scared.

 I know that some people might be thinking that it doesn't matter the experience, it’s about the story and giving it your all. I think in any situation when you have talented people around you well you feel inadequate, or at least I did. Those feelings soon went away after the first few weeks of rehearsal. I have never worked with a more encouraging cast and it was a blessing.

 This role has given me more confidence in my acting abilities and myself. A smart man told me that acting was about being confident in yourself and that you know what you are doing so just do it. Confidence is something I have always struggled with but this last 4 months have really helped me with that. It has been one of the best experiences in my life.

 Last but not least I want to thank all the cast for never treating me like I was the youngest. I want to thank Jud for telling me that if I am happy don't listen to what others have to say and for being an all-around outstanding guy. Daniel for being awesome and giving me rides and for the amazing advice that was given. Tony for being a mentor through the whole process even if he hadn't noticed it. A special thanks to RAT for having faith in me for the past 8 months and opening my eyes to new things. Lastly Shane for teaching me more about acting in the last 5 months then I have learned in the last 17 years, seriously thank you.

 In the end I am sad that the show is over but I have grown from the experience. I am never happier than when I am on stage telling a story so thanks to everyone who came and saw this phenomenal play because without you we’d have been a bunch of weirdos talking to each other as different characters.

Thank you,
Forever your Crooks, Taia Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment