Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A character caught in the middle - Whit

In researching my character I have come to think the world is the same as it was in 1930 because of the variety of people in it. I don't think there has been a large paradigm shift in human nature. Understandably, some may disagree with this point in light of what they perceive. My character, Whit, for example, is living between two extremes. He works daily with the rough men on the ranch and spends his weekends at the parlor house, meanwhile positive examples like George, Crooks and Slim are ever present to the impressionable Whit. He's rough around the edges, but there are a few times that his goodness becomes apparent.

I don't think my character appreciates confrontation. When the issue of putting down Candy's dog arises, Whit attempts to veer the conversation elsewhere without openly making a statement or disagreement with the insistent Carlson. Perhaps he doesn't always do the right thing, but I think that he does his best to be a help to his friends.

Returning to the issue of human nature, I believe this sets up a few archetypal examples. There are some who are generally innocent of wrong or victims of circumstance (George and Candy), there are aggressive types who seek mainly their own agenda (Carlson and Curley) and there are many in the world caught in between the two.  (Whit).

I won't explore any idea of good and evil while comparing 1930 and today because I don't feel that's my place. But while those who may be disagreeable generally speak the loudest with their insistent and tenacious cries, there are many out there who quietly go about trying to make the best decisions they can. I believe the way we feel about the world lies in who we observe the most. If we look for negative examples, we certainly will find plenty. But if, like in this show, you look for the qualities of understanding and mercy, you will surely find them, and may be edified by the good that does still exist.

-Tom Crozier

No comments:

Post a Comment