Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What would Whit give for Christmas?

During the holidays I think we all, at some point, take a moment to assess our lives. Of Mice and Men is all about relationships and what they mean, how they motivate and how they change us. I've had some time to ponder about my personal relationships. I think about one of our family traditions. On Christmas day, we open gifts one at a time, taking turns. We give each gift and each person a moment of appreciation. I feel like the structure of the show does this beautifully. Interwoven within are sacred moments of friendship, passed turn by turn, allowing just enough time for appreciation. As you are sat down in the audience, you begin to open up and discover these friendships alongside the characters. You learn the value of acceptance and of the harm that stems from being judgmental or impatient. In my role, I have many unspoken relationships with other characters. I asked myself, "What would Whit give ________ for Christmas?" The answers range from sentimental gifts to monetary gifts to socks. And we certainly all have that friend that we don't quite know well enough so we just give him a gift card. But in asking myself this question, I have been able to really ascertain an idea of what level I'm on with these people. There are characters that I've began to see my relationship with as superficial. I've come to understand that my character just doesn't have much of a story with some individuals. I've also had to decide that if I were to give any character that "I went all out on this" gift, who would it be? How do I portray our relationship to suggest that chemistry? And to go full circle, I've been able to think about those friends outside of the proscenium. How can I be a better friend? How can I help them to see my appreciation for them? The wonder of this play is that it really can teach you a lot about yourself, or can help you to do so. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be involved in a show with such talented and wonderful individuals. I suppose I may have gotten a little long-winded but if nothing else, this entry helped me to put some things into perspective. Have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever it is that floats your boat this time of year.

-Tom Crozier

No comments:

Post a Comment