Monday, December 22, 2014

Tony Mannen's inaugural blog post - and it's a good one!

Reflections on my character---Candy.

As a lot of people grow older they tend to, for one reason or another, run out of “life”. Loss of family, friends, “joie pour la vie”, or a favorite pet, tends to cause a lot of older folks to give up on living. Candy is one of these people…..until George and Lennie arrive and give him hope for something to live for.

Candy has been dealt a bad hand (sorry about that) and sees no hope for a future. “I ain’t got no place to go, and I can’t get no more jobs” reflects part of his bleak anticipation for a future. He also says…"they says he ain’t no good to himself nor nobody else….they won’t shoot me like that…I wish they would.” WOW, talk about no hope!

Enter George and Lennie and the place George has all picked out. For the first time in many years Candy has something and someone to live for. “We got friends…that’s what we got” is Candy’s declaration of independence from the depression, both in the country and within himself.

I like Candy. I think his heart is in the right place.

Thank you Mr. Steinbeck!

- Tony Mannen

No comments:

Post a Comment