Friday, December 12, 2014

George Milton - Played by Jud Harmon

I have been given the honor of playing George Milton in our production of “Of Mice and Men” and I must confess that I am thrilled to have been given this part. When RAT chose to start performing shows that we consider to be American Classics I knew that this would involve some fabulous pieces of literature but of all the authors we have brought to the stage John Steinbeck is one of my favorite. This love of Steinbeck has led to excitement and a fair amount of fear as I work my way through this script. This script is so human and within this humanity Steinbeck shows us that when you have such a strong connection to what it is to be human there is no need for lofty language or grandeur. Simple and understated is how this story is to be told and that is what gives this story its power. That is where I find myself struggling as a performer. It is a common tendency for an actor to want page long monologues that allow you to spill your soul onto the stage in an attempt to show the audience who you are. Steinbeck knows better. He knows that the same result can be accomplished with a few sentences. It is my job to simply stand aside and let this magnificent work of art unfold. There is no need for me to lead it but rather step out of the way and follow the path that it lays before me. So, that is what I intend to do. We have a remarkable cast in place for this show and it is a privilege to be among them while we work. I can guarantee that this will be some of our finest work and a show that is not to be missed. I hope that you are all able to come and see this show and experience the joy, the sadness, and the truth the John Steinbeck has given us all.

-Jud Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment